The underpainted chipping shows through the colour paint layer quite nicely. This is not going to be the actually chipping, but it serves to break up the flat colour and to act as a guide for where the actual chipping will go. For the actual chipping I started off painting in some silver areas with my fine brush, using Tamiya weathering master light gunmetal. This can be quite effective, but for this kit I needed something more. I’d already decided to do some of the details with a silver colour, and I chose Vallejo Oily Steel for that, and soon found it worked really well on my sponge for some great chipping effects. For thinning the Vallejo paint I just added a few drops of Future Finish to my palette and that worked great. While the chipping and oil painting was going on the rest of the pieces, I hand painted these small detail parts.For the tail pipes I layered my “rust oil” of burnt sienna with sponged oily steel. The Vallejo paint is quite thick and as you sponge it starts to build up a very nice texture. Layering the oil paint in thin coats added a lot of life to this small part. I did a very similar paint effect on these pipes. I started with a base coat of Tamiya gunmetal as I wanted them to be a bit darker, but as before I layered up burnt sienna oil and oily steel. On the side of the tank there’s a large armoured conduit pipe. The question is – what to do with it….Onwards with the chipping. I pulled off the front of the main body to allow easier access to this part. I painted the ends of these parts with the oily steel to make them look sharper and more menacing. I also painted the bands at their base to add some interest. I decided what to do with the armoured conduit – paint it red. This is a fairly monochrome kit, so I needed some colour! I first put down a layer of the oily steel, and then a nice coat of Tamiya clear red. Here you can see the oily steel building up a bit of texture on these pipes that run along the base of the front “legs”. With a coat of burnt sienna oil, they stand out great next to the blue body of the “leg”. Now I’m ready to start adding the burned sienna oil paint to the chips. It only needs a few careful drops, and then you can come back when it’s dry, add more drops or wipe it off and try again. I start off with the main chipped areas, and then I’ll revisit the piece many times, fine tuning the look, finding more details to add oil to, or to remove if it’s not looking quite right. The rear legs have a section that extends out, so I painted that with the oily steel. More rusty weathering on the main body of the tank. Time for decals! When the chipping and rust are added on top of the decal, it really blends them into the structure of the kit. I think I went a bit heavy on the oil on this piece. I only noticed a few days later and it was easy enough to use some mineral spirits to take off the oil I didn’t like and re-do. More oil, in layers and black oil too for the under-section where the wheels will go. Just a couple of small decals on the main section. Of course, the rust will spread as the piece articulates. I put on s small amount at either end, and when half dry used a cotton bud to spread and blend the effect. I extended the base of the tank, so should I decide to display in the “tank” mode I’d have it painted. This is with just the first layer of the oily steel on, and some sponging on the edges. Again, should the kit be in tank form, I’ll need to have these sections that look like “exhaust pipes” painted. Even more oil paint on the lower sections of the front “legs”. I hand painted the barrels. They still need a bit more work. Now with oil added on the chipping. These main sections are getting the treatment! Because of the large flat area I “dripped” the rust down in vertical lines and then faded it mostly off with a cotton bud.Just as with the extending sections from before, a little burnt sienna and a cotton bud to detail up the oily steel.
I’m getting the feeling the build is moving towards completion and I’m finding it hard not to rush things. At this stage almost all the oil paint is just lying on top of the kit with no protective top coat, so, for the very most part, it’s quite removable with some mineral spirits should I not like it. I’ve had to protect some small areas along the way with some Future Finish, but I’ve tried to keep the oil “live” until the end.