1/100 UC Kshatriya

Look what just arrived in the post from SamuelDecal! My experience with resin kits is ancient. Many many (many) years ago I designed and produced a Dr Who resin kit of the “Giant Robot” from the first Tom Baker story “Robot”. I scratch built the Robot and cast a small number in resin for sale. But I’ve not touched resin since, so I was interested to see how a modern resin kit looks. Kit comes in two boxes, full of nicely packed pieces and a small manual. The manual has “enough” detail to build the kit, but no more than is absolutely necessary. For much you’ll be “on your own”

Here’s how nicely everything is packaged – individual bags and bubble wrap where appropriate for the large / delicate parts.

Moulding is generally good, but here, on the tail section you can see the typical kinds of issues where there’s a “tear”. This will take some work to sand out. You can also see the large “nub” where the resin was poured in. Nubs are pretty easy to deal with – clip of most of the nub with an old pair of plastic snippers, and then sand / file the rest.   There’s a small amount of flash on some pieces, but it’s easy enough to deal with – craft knife then sand.

The first pieces I wasn’t entirely happy about are these leg sections. They come together ok, but there’s nothing to hold them together. I could pin them, but there’s not much thickness to work with and I want to be able to remove them to show the leg detail on the frame. I built up some plasticard on the back with interlocking teeth to friction-hold the pieces together and a small trapezium shaped piece to cover the join and help hold the sides together in exact alignment.

The head was poorly moulded. The front left side was entirely missing, so I’ve re-sculpted it from Milliput (fine white). Fortunately the right side was able to serve as a visual guide.

The fit for the backpack pieces is pretty bad. Even after lots of sanding they were going to interfere with the central backpack section. I pinned them so I could keep them in alignment while I went in with Milliput to close the gaps. Once the Milliput had formed the shape, I pulled the part off and smoothed it down to dry so I can keep the parts separate for easy painting.

Leave a Reply