After watching Gundam SEED, we just loved the Meteor units! But the Meteor Unit kit came with a not-so-good Freedom. Fortunately the new RG kits of Freedom and Justice work just great with the Meteor Unit.
I was incredibly happy with how Justice came out. The design of the RG kits really facilitates a superb end result due to the very nice colour and part differentiation.Yes, all the missiles on the Meteor Unit were painted by hand – the outer sprayed black, then Alclad chrome for each missile top. A thick black wash was hand painted to tidy up the edges as I’d not used any masking for the chrome spray. I carefully handpainted the Tamiya clear red to finish off the effect. Although I didn’t use masking for that particular task, there was an awful lot of masking used for the rest of the Meteor Unit bodywork.The wings of the Freedom were done with Createx Pearl blue, with the shiny edges in Alclad chrome, with Tamiya clear blue over all. The end result really works as it emphasizes how the light catches the edges while not being so completely over-the-top flashy.
The red elements of the Freedom are Createx Pearl red, with Tamiya clear red over the top. These experiments with the red details on the freedom lead me to the final paint effect I chose for MG Sinanju.Justice also used the Createx Pearl red, but as the red colour is a touch “pink” I was able to utilize that to go with the differentiated colour scheme of the plastic parts. Only the more “red” parts got the extra coat of Tamiya clear red (which is a very “red” red, and takes away the hint of pink of the Createx). The end result retains the cool colour differentiation of the kit, and works great with the light.White parts were sprayed white, and then Payne’s Grey (a blue / black) was added in increasing amounts to differentiate the kit’s grey parts. I like how the blue tones integrate the colour scheme design. I took this look even further with the RG Strike. The Meteor Unit is a massive kit, and I really think the Tamiya Purple worked well for the detail sections. Masking and detailed airbrushing, with free-hand shading, was used in preference to the stickers throughout.The same Tamiya purple was used on the Justice backpack wings, and with a darkened version too for the shading. I was particularly happy with how the shading worked and how it added a realness to the model. The backpack was a great built too!